Our family had originally planned on continuing our regular schooling throughout the summer. After working on the schedule of camps, private lessons and school work, I had an uneasy feeling. I was not sure what it was, but it definitely felt like there was something different that I needed to do.
One day last week I was reading through a couple of blogs and came across this quote by Julie B. Beck:
“Education is wonderful, but being able to feel the Lord’s power and Spirit upon us is the highest education we can achieve. With that, we have power and influence. Without it, we will not be able to navigate in this life. The adversary will pick us off one by one, and we will be drawn off course by the many, many voices that are out there distracting us. With the Lord’s Spirit upon us, we are strong and solid and will be able to walk with Him.”
“When our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.”
I knew almost immediately what I needed to do. I threw out my entire plan (except for one music camp) and started from scratch. This new schedule focuses on the Gospel. The only secular work we will do is our “areas of focus.”
Our official “vacation” ends on Monday and we will begin our new summer schedule then. We will start out our mornings with a family devotional. Devotional will be comprised of a new talk each day, and then a quote, a scripture and a song that remain the same throughout the week. I find that my children memorize easily using this method.
After devotional and morning chores, the girls have two things to complete. #1. The 90 Day Encounter with the Book of Mormon (We have purchased 6 paperback copies of the Book of Mormon for each person in the family so that they can mark to their hearts content) and #2. their area of focus. They should be done by noon or 1 in the afternoon and still have plenty of time to enjoy summertime with their friends. .
Because we are starting late, we will continue on this schedule until the 10th of September, when we will jump back into our regular school year.
Devotional Readings (These readings progress through a pattern beginning with Christ -> Scriptures -> Prayer -> Faith -> Testimony -> The Restored Gospel -> Council from the Prophets -> Gospel Patterns ->Daughters -> Fathers & Mothers -> Education.)
Week 1 Seek Christ
Ether 12:41 And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever.
“As we engage our faith and commit our energy to draw closer to Jesus Christ, we begin to understand more fully who He really is. As we seek Him diligently, we gain a deep and abiding testimony of His matchless love, His perfect life and example, and the blessings of His great atoning sacrifice. As we draw nearer to Him, we truly begin to find Him and to recognize Him as the Creator of the earth, the Redeemer of mankind, the Only Begotten of the Father, the King of kings, the Prince of Peace.” ~~Craig C. Christiansen
♪♫♪♫ Come Unto Jesus, pg 117 ♪♫♪♫
- Waiting on the Road to Damascus by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- He Lives! All Glory to His Name! by Richard G. Scott
- His is Risen! by President Thomas L. Monson
- The Miracle of the Atonement by C. Scott Grow
- Seeking to Know God by Robert D. Hales
- Seek and Ye Shall Find by Craig C. Christiansen
- Our Only Chance by Sheri L. Dew
Week 2 Learn of Christ
Alma 38:9 And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness.
“In our learning, let us not neglect the fountain of revelation. The scriptures and the words of modern-day apostles and prophets are the sources of wisdom, divine knowledge, and personal revelation to help us find answers to all the challenges in life. Let us learn of Christ; let us seek out that knowledge which leads to peace, truth, and the sublime mysteries of eternity.” –Dieter F. Uchtdorf
♪♫♪♫ God Loved us so He Sent His Son, Pg 187 ♪♫♪♫
- Guided by the Holy Spirit by Boyd K. Packer
- The Spirit of Revelation by Boyd K. Packer
- Eternal Life Through Jesus Christ by John M. Madsen
- Choose Ye Therefore Christ the Lord by Anne C. Pinegree
- What it Means to Know Christ by George W. Pace
- Our Acceptance of Christ by Elder Neal A. Maxwell
- Becoming a Disciple of Christ by Merrill J. Bateman
Week 3 Follow Christ
2 Nephi 31:13 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.
“When you choose to follow Christ,you choose to be changed. . . . The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people,and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men,who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior,but Christ can change human nature.” ~~Ezra Taft Benson
♪♫♪♫ I Believe in Christ, pg 134 ♪♫♪♫
- Establishing a Christ Centered Home by Richard J. Maynes
- We Follow Jesus Christ by Quentin L. Cook
- What Have you Done With My Name? by Elder Mervyn B. Arnold
- The Light of Christ by President Boyd K. Packer
- Followers of Christ by Walter F. Gonzales
- The Way of the Disciple by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- To Always Remember Him by Elder Todd Christofferson
Week 4 Delight in the Scriptures
2 Nephi 5:15 And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.
16Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.
Brothers and sisters, without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord. There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.~~President Gordon B. Hinckley
♪♫♪♫ As I Search the Holy Scriptures, pg 277 ♪♫♪♫
- The Blessing of Scripture by D. Todd Christofferson
- Blessings Resulting from Reading The Book of Mormon by L. Tom Perry
- My Soul Delighteth in The Scriptures by Julie B. Beck
- Living by Scriptural Guidance by Russell M. Nelson
- My Words…Never Cease by Jeffery R. Holland
- Holy Scriptures: The Power of God unto Our Salvation by Robert D. Hales
Week 5 Seek Guidance Through Prayer
Alma 37:37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
“Our Heavenly Father has placed an upward reach in every one of us. The words of scripture speak loud and clear: ‘Look to God and live’ (Alma 37:47). No problem is too small for His attention nor so large that He cannot answer the prayer of faith. Prayer surely is the passport to spiritual power. You can pray with purpose when you realize who you are and what Heavenly Father wants you to become. You will not find it difficult to approach Him with your sincere prayer as you remember the words of the Apostle Paul, ‘Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?’ (1 Cor. 3:16).”
♪♫♪♫ In Hymns of Praise, pg 75 ♪♫♪♫
- How Can I Make Prayer More Meaningful? by Elder Todd Christofferson
- No Substitue for Family Prayer by H. Kent Rappleye
- Prayer, Faith and Family by H Bruce Stucki
- Prayer and Promptings by Elder Boyd K. Paker
- Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer by Elder Richard G. Scott
Week 6 Faith
Alma 32:21 And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.
Lord, increase our faith.’ Increase our faith to bridge the chasms of uncertainty and doubt. . . . Grant us faith to look beyond the problems of the moment to the miracles of the future. . . . Give us faith to do what is right and let the consequence follow.”~~ President Gordon B. Hinckley
♪♫♪♫ More Holiness Give Me, pg 131 ♪♫♪♫
- Finding Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ by Robert D. Hales
- We Walk by Faith by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Faith-The Choice is Yours by Elder Richard C. Edgley
- The Shield of Faith by James E. Faust
- Be of Good Courage by Ann M. Dibb
- Ask in Faith by Elder David A. Bednar
- The Transforming Power of Faith and Character by Richard G. Scott
Week 7 Gain Your Own Testimony
3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
“Continuing revelation is a fundamental feature of [the faith of our Father]. Joseph Smith’s first prayer is a powerful testimony of this. Revelation is a constant compass that keeps us always true to the will and the faith of our Heavenly Father.
“Our Heavenly Father loves His children. He hears the prayers of the humble and sincere of every nation, tongue, and people. He grants light to those who seek and honor Him and are willing to obey His commandments. We joyously proclaim that the faith of our Father is on the earth today.” ~~President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
♪♫♪♫ Testimony, pg 137 ♪♫♪♫
- The Power of a Personal Testimony by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- How You Can Know by Elder Robert D. Hales
- The Power of a Strong Testimony by Richard G. Scott
- Receiving a Testimony of The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ by Robert D. Hales
- A Testimony of the Book of Mormon by Russell M. Nelson
- A Living Testimony by Henry B. Eyring
- Pure Testimony by M. Russell Ballard
Week 8 Gospel Patterns to Live By
Doctrine and Covenants 59:3 Yea, blessed are they whose feet stand upon the land of Zion, who have obeyed my gospel; for they shall receive for their reward the good things of the earth, and it shall bring forth in its strength.
“There may be times when we feel overwhelmed, hurt, or on the edge of discouragement as we are trying so hard to be perfect members of the Church. Be assured, there is balm in Gilead. Let us listen to the prophets of our day as they help us to focus on the things that are central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. The Lord knows us, He loves us, He wants us to succeed, and He encourages us by saying: “And see that all … things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that men or women should run faster than they have strength.”
–Dieter F. Uchtdorf
♪♫♪♫ Sweet is the Peace the Gospel Brings, pg 14 ♪♫♪♫
- The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ by Boyd K. Packer
- A Pattern for All by Merrill J. Bateman
- Now Is The Time by Elder M. Russel Ballard
- Never, Never, Never Give Up! by Mary N. Cook
- A Prophet’s Council by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Stay on the High Road by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- And Upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit by Julie B. Beck
Week 9 & 10 You Are Daughters of a Loving Heavenly Father
Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
“Let us from this day forward be a little better, love one another a little more, treat one another with greater kindness and look to God and live.” –Gordon B. Hinckley
(During the second week we will review previous weeks’ scriptures and quotes.)
♪♫♪♫ As Sisters in Zion, pg 309 ♪♫♪♫
- How Can I Become The Woman of Whom I Dream? by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Believe! By Elaine S. Dalton
- Your Celestial Journey by President Thomas S. Monson
- Clean Hands and a Pure Heart by David L. Bednar
- Beware of Pride by President Ezra Taft Benson
- Developing Good Judgement and Not Judging Others by Elder Gregory A. Schwitzer
- He Knows You By Name by Elaine S. Dalton
- Be Thou an Example by Thomas S. Monson
- Becoming Our Best Selves by President Thomas S. Monson
- Zion in the Midst of Babylon by Elder David R. Stone
- What It Means to Be a Daughter of God by James E. Faust
- Rise to Your Call
- Daughters of God by Elder M. Russell Ballard
- The Challenge to Become by Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Week 10 & 11 Honor thy Father and Mother
Deuteronomy 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
“Be true to your parents and your heritage. No one has greater interest in your welfare, in your happiness, in your future than do your mothers and fathers. … They were once the age that you are now. Your problems are not substantially different from what theirs were. If they occasionally place restrictions on you, it is because they see danger down the road. Listen to them. What they ask you to do may not be to your liking. But you will be much happier if you do it” ~~ President Gordon B. Hinckley
(During the second week we will review previous weeks’ scriptures and quotes.)
♪♫♪♫ Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth, pg 298 ♪♫♪♫
- Honor thy Mother and Father, by Elder Hugh W. Pinnock
- Fatherhood, an Eternal Calling by L. Tom Perry
- The Hands of the Fathers by Elder Jeffery R. Holland
- To the Fathers in Israel by President Ezra Taft Benson
- Remember the Teachings of Your Father by H Bryan Richards
- Being a Righteous Husband and Father by President Howard W. Hunter
- The Power of the Priesthood by Elder Boyd K. Packer
- Our Sacred Duty to Honor Women by Elder Russell M. Nelson
- Behold Thy Mother by President Thomas S. Monson
- Mothers Teaching Children in The Home by L. Tom Perry
- Womanhood: The Highest Place of Honor by James E. Faust
- Mothers and Daughters by M. Russell Ballard
- Daughters of Heavenly Father by Susan W. Tanner
- Preparation Brings Blessings by President Thomas S. Monson
Week 12 Seek Learning By Faith (Preparation for school to begin next week.)
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.
“Education is wonderful, but being able to feel the Lord’s power and Spirit upon us is the highest education we can achieve. With that, we have power and influence. Without it, we will not be able to navigate in this life. The adversary will pick us off one by one, and we will be drawn off course by the many, many voices that are out there distracting us. With the Lord’s Spirit upon us, we are strong and solid and will be able to walk with Him. When our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.” ~~ Julie B. Beck
♪♫♪♫ The Spirit of God, pg 2 ♪♫♪♫
- Three Goals to Guide You by Thomas S. Monson
- Seek Learning by Faith by David A. Bednar (to Implications for Us As Teachers)
- Let Virtue Garnish Thy Thoughts Unceasingly by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Good, Better, Best by Dallin H. Oaks
- Our Refined Heavenly Home by Elder Douglas L Callister
- Realize Your Full Potential by Richard G. Scott
- Education for a Real Life by Elder Henry B. Eyring
Note: Another fantastic “Scripture Memory System” can be found here. We have used this in the past and I will probably add the scriptures and quotes from these weeks of study to the rotation.