Xuxu’s Point of View

Do you want to donate some blood?

I apologize for not posting for days.  Xuxu has been pretty darn sick with fever, cough and headache.  Night before last she scared us to death by announcing that she felt like she had “candy wrappers” in her chest.  She was right, I could hear “crinkles” in her lungs and so we started a course of antibiotics.  Right now she is on Amoxicillin and there is a Zpac winging its way toward us too, just in case the Amoxicillin does not wipe it out.  Thankfully, the Dr. said that I did the right thing and started the correct medication.  Whew!  (And thank heavens for the internet!)

So, where does everything else stand?  We have hot water again, so showers are much more enjoyable.  Lucky for us, the days without hot water were actually warm and enjoyable.   Today, not so much. 43 degrees F (high) with 81% humidity.  I swear it is actually colder inside the apartment than it is outside!   Last night my feet were ice blocks and there was nothing I could do to warm them up!  (Can’t wait until Da is here to warm them up for me!  Only 6 more days! ;o)  The poor little heater in our room is working constantly and can not get the room above 50 degrees (F).  Comes with the territory of  “rationed gas” and concrete buildings.  I just wish we had a microwave so that we could heat up a rice bag for my feet!

So, today I managed to find the time to download Xuxu’s camera.  She hasn’t taken a lot of photos, but there are some interesting shots that I thought worthy of posting here.  I will post the photos and let her comment after each one.

I think this is supposed to say “2010 Aloha, Happy New Year!”  On the front of a major department store to boot!

We pass this Maky Bakery every day.  Too funny!

You would think they would at least look up the spelling on the internet before they go to the trouble of making a sign!

Double deckers aren’t just in London anymore!

Gross food.  I would never eat here.  People get to choose their own sticks of food and then they cook it for you.

This was the sign for a coffee shop.  We can’t figure out if they are saying you’ll be on time if you buy

your coffee here, or if be was meant to be bean, as in coffee bean.

(Marmee here: I looked up the characters, they are Beautiful,  Nourish, and Castle (or stronghold).

I think that they mean something like,” beautiful nourishment for strength or stronghold” or “be for all time“!  ;o )

6 Responses

1. gloria says:

Anne,

I am so excited to hear your family is in China!!! This is truly a dream come true for you all!!!

I look foward to reading about your adventures.

Hugs,
    gloria

2. Ginger says:

I’m sorry she’s sick. Hope she gets better soon.

Seriously, being cold is just the worst.

Happy you’re doing and seeing interesting things.

3. Ke, Hai Lian says:

I am relieved to her she is on the mend. Spellign errors have always made me laugh…
    I am impressed you were able to look up the characters that is tricky to do with the number of strokes.. and the number of chracters.. AI YAH
    ANyway we are watching with interest how thingg develop and the ideas you give us for things to do when we come there next David says he thinks he can live w/o me for 6 weeks maybe…
    Anyway looks fun to see the all the shops around. You ought to post more pictures of those , for those of us who follow. Espeially how to get there form Amanda’s apartment!
    SO what is up with church? I thought htey had a branch there with BYU teachers/students teaching English? OR are you not allowed to write about it?
    ok take care… enjoying the journey

4. Ke, Hai Lian says:

I laughing because I am typing with my bandaids on my fingers and making lots of mistakes. I am still trying to catch and correct them all but as you can see from the previous post I missed them..
    Have you guys ever read the book about the gal, a famous writer Jean Fritz? I think it is, who lived in China with her missionary parents for years? I am tryign to remember her name… She wrote one such biography from the view pont as a child.

5. Jeannetta says:

Hope she’s feeling better, and I love the commentary, it’s pretty much what I was saying too 😀

6. ?? says:

Hai Lian, I use a site called Yellow Bridge that allows me to draw the character with my mouse. It is a little tricky and it helps if you understand stroke order, but it makes looking up characters really fast! I just learned that iPhone has a similar application that allows you to draw the character with your finger.